Native Youth Service Day for #GYSD on Pine Ridge Reservation
There are many ways that you can show your support for youth on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota!
LCE is proud to announce it is a LEAD AGENCY for Global Youth Service Day, a national initiative of Youth Service America, that engages youth in service to their communities for the greater good in the month of April. We are planning activities for Native Youth on the Pine Ridge Reservation from April 12 though April 18th and we’d like to have YOUR help!
Sign up to become part of the #VolunTeam and get yourself placed on the national map of youth service activists! Contact us at email@example.com to discuss ways that you can become a leader in the GYSD community!
LCE’s 2015 focus is on ARTS, HUNGER and #WeAreHere
Monday April 13 through Saturday April 18:
- We will celebrate the strong voices and art work of Native Youth on the Pine Ridge Reservation. This year, the #WeAreHere Writing and Art Challenge asked youth to create a message about something they are willing to StandUP for. We will celebrate their voices and artwork at awards ceremonies and other events throughout the week, in communities and schools. We need YOUR help to amplify the important voices of Native Youth.
- We will address the important issue of hunger in the community. Youth board member Summer Montileaux won a GenerationON grant to assemble portable edible gardens for families in the community – to start indoors and to move outdoors when weather permits. We need YOUR help to make this a HUGE success! You can sponsor her program through our Amazon Wish List. All items purchased online will be shipped directly to Pine Ridge.
- We will hold multi-media art clinics and performance clinics all over the Reservation! We’ll bring large panels and vinyl records for teams to decorate. Many thanks to Black Hills Vinyl for the donation of 300 vinyl records for artists to decorate! Let us know if YOUR school or community organization wants to be involved in this project!
- The week will end with a Youth Summit on Saturday April 18, where youth will use their voices to create positive messages, artists will create murals and engage in clinics and teams will assemble and distribute edible container gardens. We need YOUR help as helping hands.
- Contact us if you are willing to sponsor food, additional garden supplies or deliver your own team’s edible container gardens to the community.
… these are just a few ways that YOU can help.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get the dialogue going!
Negative news sometimes overshadows the incredible positive actions of youth in communities on the Pine Ridge Reservation. Want to get involved? Consider yourself invited!
Partners who have already joined the VolunTEAM
Black Hills Vinyl, Rapid City, SD; OfficeDepot in Rapid City, SD; Omniciye Rotary, Rapid City; Rotary Club of Rapid City; Spoken Word Star Jasmine Mans; Multi-Media Artist Andres Gallardo; Honor the Treaties Artist Gregg Deal; Running Strong for American Indian Youth; Scarsdale New York Rotary Club; Youth Service America; State Farm Insurance; American Express; GenerationOn; Scarsdale NY Congregational Church Youth Action Committee (they’re holding a car wash!); Susanne Pari; Peter Balakian; Maggie Dunne; Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Jody Williams; LCE Youth Advisory Board; and YOU!
April Event Hashtags
#NativeYouth #FightHungerTogether #NativeVoices #WeAreHere #GYSD2015 #LCEVolunTEAM